Travel & Tourism
Travel and tourism enables students to explore one of the fastest growing industries in the UK with the industry growing at a rate of 4.2% a year. Within travel and tourism students will develop skills, knowledge and an understanding of the travel and tourism industry. They will have a opportunity to gain confidence by developing independent learning skills and applying their understanding in a practical way which will enable them to progress to further education and employment in travel and tourism.
BTEC Travel and Tourism
BTEC Level 1 / Level 2 First Award in Travel and Tourism
At Key stage 4 students have the opportunity to study BTEC Travel and Tourism which is designed to allow students to understand the key elements that make up travel and tourism industries.
Exam- externally assessed
- Unit 1: The UK Travel and Tourism Sector - this unit covers the main types of tourism in the UK, the contribution that travel and tourism makes to the UK economy and the different component industries that make up the UK travel and tourism sector.
Coursework- internally assessed
- Unit 2: UK Travel and Tourism Destinations - this unit covers what the different types of UK destinations have to offer, as well as locating tourist UK destinations and routes.
Optional units' students will then complete two other internally assessed units for the selection below
- Unit 3: The Development of Travel and Tourism in the UK
- Unit 4: International Travel and Tourism Destinations
- Unit 5: Factors Affecting Worldwide Travel and Tourism
- Unit 6: The Travel and Tourism Customer Experience
The Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award is a level 2 qualification; the grades are Level 2 Pass, Level 2 Merit, Level 2 Distinction and Level 2 Distinction*. Learners who do not achieve at Level 2 may be awarded a Level 1 grade.
It is recommended that students buy a copy of:
Advanced Travel and Tourism by Outhart, Taylor, Barker and Marvell