Business studies is an excellent option for years 9-11, (offering WJEC GCSE business studies and AQA GCSE Economics) and KS5 (offering WJEC Business A level, AQA Tech level Marketing and IFS finance), regardless of their current ability and future aims. Business studies is well regarded by universities and future employers. It is a dynamic subject that is relevant and applicable to all students.
Preparing for the future
Students are prepared for their futures by;
- Studying the world of work
- Learning to work with others
- Developing problem solving skills
- Using ICT in a business context
Skills students will learn
By the end of any business course students will be able to;
- Make effective use of relevant terminology, concepts and methods, and recognise the strengths and limitations of the ideas used
- Apply their knowledge and critical understanding to current issues and problems in a wide range of appropriate contexts
- Distinguish between facts and opinions and evaluate qualitative and quantitative data in order to help build arguments and make informed judgements
- Appreciate the perspectives of a range of stakeholders in relation to the environment, individuals, government and enterprise.
Knole Academy students have an excellent examination record in both KS4 and KS5, with results consistently amongst the best in the academy.
The business studies department is very well resourced. All teaching rooms have laptops for student use and interactive whiteboards.
Students are encouraged to develop the practical business skills and reinforce classroom learning by participating in additional projects and educational trips and visits.
GCSE Controlled Conditions
The GCSE controlled conditions is worth 25% of the students' final grade. Students have 6 weeks (18 lessons) to independently research the set question. They then have one week (3 lessons), in exam conditions, to type a report answering the set question using their research. The controlled conditions will be scheduled once the calendar has been consulted and the business teachers have taught the required content.
GCE Controlled Conditions
Unit 8 Business Planning is the controlled conditions unit for Applied Business 'A' Level. Students prepare a section of the coursework and then have four hours to type up their findings in exam conditions. This process is repeated four times throughout the year. Students will be informed of the date of the next controlled conditions examination several weeks in advance.
GCSE Business Studies Revision
To access a link to GCSE Business Studies revision online, please click here.